Sandalwood essential oil is one of the most coveted essential oils used in natural skin care, perfumery and aromatherapy. There are many varieties of sandalwood essential oil, but the most sought after is the Mysore variety from India. Sandalwood oil is steam distilled from the sandalwood tree and has a characteristic rich, sweet, woody and earthy aroma profile. Unfortunately, because of it’s popularity and high price tag Indian sandalwood trees are over harvested. Due to this environmental concern, the sandalwood oils we use come from Australian and West Indian origin. Both are a bit different than East Indian, Mysore, sandalwood variety, but the therapeutic and skin care benefits are largely the same - and of course, they both smell divine!
All sandalwood oils posses soothing, calming and relaxing properties. West Indian sandalwood or amyris essential oil is steam distilled from Torchwood trees in Haiti. The aroma is more sweet, vanilla-like, smoky and balsamic than other sandalwoods. Australian sandalwood is a true sandalwood tree; also steam distilled, but not as sweet as East Indian sandalwood. All sandalwoods are popular in perfumery and are great for men’s products. In addition all sandalwood oils have skin care benefits associated with their use. Provided below is a list of sandalwood skin care benefits.
- It can prevent and treat pimples; the anti-microbial properties of sandalwood can help keep the skin clean, and it also has a drying effect, so when sandalwood paste is applied to zits, they heal so much faster.
- It can also treat other types of acne like blackheads and milia because sandalwood powder (along with turmeric) can help exfoliate the skin. At the same time, it provides moisture to keep the skin hydrated.
- It can cause scars to fade. Sandalwood oil can be added to orange blossom or rose water to create a toner. Sandalwood powder can also be turned into paste (either using plain water or milk) for "spot treatment."
- It can brighten the skin especially if mixed with turmeric, lemon and milk, which are three other ingredients that benefit the skin.
- It can promote faster healing of wounds like cuts or gashes and scrapes.
- It can also promote faster healing of burns and prevent ugly scarring afterwards.
- It can soothe itching. Just make a paste of sandalwood powder, turmeric and lemon juice – it works as effectively as Calamine lotion, and the paste also reduces the redness.
- It can treat most insect bites; it gets rid of the itchiness and swelling.
- Sandalwood oil, on the other hand, can help whiten skin especially after a sunburn. Just mix it with VCO, almond oil and sandalwood powder and apply onto darkened areas for 10 days and you’ll see significant lightening of your skin.